First Trip to L&D

Today was my first trip to L&D. I had been noticing a significant decrease in Lucy’s movement over the last few days, and while I know it’s early for feeling movement, I wouldn’t think I would go from feeling her a lot during the day to only feeling one kick a day at the most. Some days there was absolutely no movement. Plus, I’ve been having menstrual cramps, which my doctor told me are a sign of concern. So, we called my doctor this afternoon, and she said she wanted us to head to the hospital where I’ll deliver Lucy to be checked out. She was also on call, so she’d be able to take a look at everything and examine me if necessary.

After we arrived and signed in at the ER, we were taken upstairs to L&D where I was put in a room and, after I changed into a hospital gown, I was hooked up to the fetal monitor. The nurse checking for Lucy’s heartbeat moved the probe around my stomach for 10-15 minutes and just stared at the monitor. I was about to start crying because that was a *very* long time to find the heartbeat. The doctors and sonographer at my OB’s office can find it immediately. Finally, Joe said, “Um, are you able to find the heartbeat,” and the nurse said, “Oh yeah, I found it. I’m just trying to hold onto it.”

Whew. Joe and I were a little upset about her lack of communication. Joe said that she obviously knew we were concerned, and that really didn’t help.

After she found the heartbeat (and wiped the jelly off my belly with my gown, btw), another nurse, who was the one who took care of me while I was there, came in. I really liked her. She was very calming and told me about how often she was admitted to the hospital with her second child to be checked because she had a hard time feeling him. That made me feel a lot better.

While I was waiting to go to the ultrasound room I felt Lucy a couple of times, which made me feel better. I thought it was actually pretty funny because the nurse had told me that when she went to the hospital during her second pregnancy she would feel him move after she had been admitted. The sonographer at the hospital wasn’t my favorite because she wasn’t too personable at first, but she warmed up. She was *really* quiet, and even though she was right next to me I had a hard time hearing her. The ultrasound went really well, though. We saw Lucy moving right away, her heartbeat was strong in the 160s, and she was just living it up in there. She kept kicking with one of her legs, and the sonographer was surprised I couldn’t feel it. We also saw her hiccup, open and close her mouth, and play with her placenta. Seriously, she is the! We got a nice, long look at her, and it really made us feel better. She looked super happy and content.

Another good thing that came out of our visit was that they discovered I have a developing UTI. The nurse said that UTIs not only cause cramping but also can cause preterm labor, so they were glad to catch it quickly and start me on antibiotics. I’m supposed to go back to the doctor this week to have it checked again. That’s one reason I’m glad we ended up going to the hospital today.

After I was released, the nurse toured us through one of the L&D rooms, and we were really impressed. The rooms are quite large, and have a TV, DVD player, CD player, fold-out couch for the husbands, whirlpool tub, and a refrigerator for food and drinks. I’m looking forward to the full tour we plan on doing in a couple of weeks.

All in all, everything turned out well. Lucy is happy and growing well, and we caught an infection very early. I told the nurse I’d see her in 17 weeks, and she said she might see me sooner, especially if I continue having cramping, which they say can be an indication of a shortening cervix. Thankfully, mine is still nice and long. She told me not to ever hesitate about going in to get checked if I feel like something’s not right. She said it’s better to be safe than sorry.

And now, I will leave you with my 22 week pictures. Only three more days until week 23, and a week after that I’ll hit the point of viability!

22 week belly shot 5

22 week belly shot 1

Be Sociable, Share!
Hi! I’m a wife to a wonderful husband, mom to a beautiful and active (to put it lightly) kiddo, and fur-mom to 3 crazy cats. I’m a former journalist. I quit my full time job two years ago. Now, I am a freelance writer and a virtual assistant for several bloggers!

Latest posts by Cady (see all)


  1. Joe says:

    Such a cute little girl. And such a beautiful mom!

  2. Jess says:

    I’m so glad everything is OK! That must have been really scary. I can’t believe the nurse didn’t tell you right away that she had a heartbeat!

  3. Ashley says:

    Scary…i’m glad you went to get it checked out and all was well!!

  4. Lisanne says:

    I’m so glad that you got checked out and that everything is fine. It would have driven me CRAZY to lie there for 15 minutes and not hear the tech say anything! Geez! Wishing you the best. That shirt is too cute!

  5. Sara says:

    I’m glad you went and had that checked out. I’m so glad everything is okay!

  6. Linda says:

    its is good to have the check up and end with good news. All treatable! 🙂

  7. I would say the quiet nurse is the scariest to have in a doctor’s office.

  8. Barbara says:

    I’m glad everything checked out well. That nurse could have been a little more thoughtful of your concerns! 🙂

  9. Christina says:

    Glad everything is fine…. Peace of mind is a hard thing to find sometimes!


  10. vein says:

    I hope baby is doing well!

Speak Your Mind