Lucy’s Birth Story

I always thought Lucy would arrive the third week of November. Maybe it was because I was hoping she’d come on the 18th, my dad’s birthday, but for some reason I had this feeling she would arrive sometime during that week.

But, as the week came to a close, I started thinking more and more that not only would she *not* arrive that week but that she would actually be late. So, when I started having contractions that were 5 minutes apart on Friday night, November 20, I figured it was yet another false alarm. After two hours, Joe called the doctor who told us to head to the hospital. On the way there, the contractions became less consistent, which solidified the fact in my mind that it was not real labor, but when we stopped so I could use the restroom, I noticed that they moved to 2 minutes apart every time I walked.

We arrived at the hospital around 1 a.m. on Saturday morning, and though we weren’t timing them anymore, I felt like the contractions had become further apart. We registered and then were taken right up to L&D and, since it was a busy night and the triage room was full, we were put right into a labor room. I was *really* happy about that because I’m not a big fan of getting a pelvic exam with another woman in the room on the other side of the curtain.

My nurse came in and examined me and said that I was still 90 percent effaced but now was 2 cm dilated. I knew I had to be 4 cm in order to be admitted, so I started freaking out a little that I was going to be sent home. I was told to walk around for an hour or so to see if there was any change, and I had to stop every 2 minutes for contractions. I told Joe there was no way I was going to be able to go home if I was contracting that much while walking. Later, Joe told me that while I was in the bathroom the nurse had told him I was right on the edge of being 3 cm and that she thought I was going to be admitted.

labor 11

Just after 3 a.m., somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes after I had started walking, the doctor came in to check me again. While I hadn’t seen him much during my prenatal visits, he was the doctor I saw at my first OB visit and he’s always so happy and smiley that I really like him. I squeezed Joe’s hand as he checked me and said a prayer that I wouldn’t be sent home. Then, he said, “She’s a 4. She’s a keeper!”

I don’t think I breathed after he said that, and I started to cry a little realizing that I was going to be meeting my little girl later that day. It was a pretty overwhelming feeling. I had been hooked up directly to the monitor, but the nurse switched me over to the telemetry monitor, which made it easier to walk around without having to unhook the two monitor cords every time I got out of bed. She also put in my IV which would be used for fluids if I chose to have an epidural.

Then, we called our parents. We both had been dying to tell them ever since we arrived at the hospital, but we didn’t want to jinx ourselves and we didn’t want to get their hopes up in case it was another false alarm. When Joe called his dad he said, “This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.” I was a little less creative and simply said, “I’m in labor!” when my mom answered the phone. Unfortunately, Joe’s mom was in South Carolina to pick up his grandmother for Thanksgiving, so she wasn’t going to be able to head home until later that morning.

Around 5 a.m., I opted for the epidural. I really wanted to go natural, but after having contractions since 10 p.m., I just wasn’t able to handle it any longer. The pain was insane. It was so bad that, even though I knew it wouldn’t happen, I felt like I was going to pass out. I felt horrible about my decision, like it was a cop out, but I knew I had a long way to go and I didn’t think I could make it the rest of the way on my own. The anesthesiologist arrived about 30 minutes later and got to work. She stuck the catheter in my back and did a test run to make sure it was in the right place. It wasn’t. Shortly after she pushed the dose out, my ears started ringing really badly, and I got very lightheaded. She resituated it and tried another test dose, but I had the same reaction. So, she had to take it out and start the process all over again, something I wasn’t really fond of, but luckily it worked.

My parents and brother, and Joe’s dad arrived around 6 a.m. and, after coming in to see us for a few minutes, set up camp in the small waiting area. We tried to nap for a bit. Joe was able to get a little bit of rest, but I really wasn’t able to fall asleep.

I was checked again at 9:30 a.m. and was only at 5 cm, so the nurse started me on pitocin to help me dilate faster. Despite the epidural, I was able to feel the contractions from the pitocin, so the anesthesiologist had to come in and up my medicine to relieve some of the discomfort.

labor 15

Around 11 a.m., the nurse checked me again, and I was 7 cm dilated. She decided to call the doctor to come break my water, and while she was at the nurse’s station on the phone with him, my water broke on its own! I thought I would feel a gush, but instead I felt this urge to push, and I began pushing the water out. After my water broke, my blood pressure plummeted to 70/30, and I had to have two doses of epinephrine to bring it back up. That episode also affected Lucy’s heart rate, but luckily that came back up rather quickly.

After my water broke, several nurses came in and setup everything that would be necessary for the delivery. Just before 1 p.m., I called the nurse and told her I was feeling a lot of pressure. She took a quick look and could see Lucy’s head ready to come out. She had another nurse call the doctor, who was up on the postpartum floor, and she told me to start pushing. I pushed once before the doctor arrived and twice with him before Lucy popped out at 1:01 p.m. — all in the span of about 5 minutes. It felt like she just slid out, which I assume is because of the epidural, but I ended up having a 2nd degree tear. I didn’t realize I had torn until I felt the doctor stitching me up. While I was being stitched and cleaned, Joe cut the umbilical cord, and Lucy was placed on my chest. I cried as I held her for the first time (and as she peed on my arm, I might add!), and after about 10-15 minutes, she was taken to be cleaned.

lucy 4

After she had been cleaned and was given back to me, the nurse took our first family pictures.

lucy 25

lucy 38

lucy 39

After what seemed like forever to both us and our families, they were let in to meet Lucy. It was so much fun to be able to introduce my little girl to everyone.

lucy 74

My brother also took some cute pictures of me and Joe with our daughter.

lucy 76

lucy 54

Joe’s mom and grandmother arrived shortly after everyone was allowed into our room, and it was neat that Nana got to meet her great-granddaughter so soon after her birth.

lucy 81

lucy 89

The next day, my parents brought my grandmother down to meet her latest great-grandchild.

lucy 117

lucy 124

Lucy and I were discharged on Monday, and while I was grateful for the time in the hospital to rest and start to recover, I was really happy to be headed home. I never fully realized how much I loved Lucy until I held her and snuggled her. It’s only been a week since her birth, and I cannot imagine our lives without her anymore.

Be Sociable, Share!
Hi! Iā€™m a wife to a wonderful husband, mom to a beautiful and active (to put it lightly) kiddo, and fur-mom to 3 crazy cats. Iā€™m a former journalist. I quit my full time job two years ago. Now, I am a freelance writer and a virtual assistant for several bloggers!

Latest posts by Cady (see all)


  1. Jess says:

    Oh, it sounds like it went relatively smoothly! I’m so glad! That photo of you holding Lucy right after she was cleaned up is so gorgeous I almost cried looking at it.

  2. Jynn says:

    So, now that you’ve experienced birth, was it as bad as you were expecting?

    My labor process was very quick – 13 hours from start to finish (water breaking to birth) but I was expecting a lot more work. Oh, and I had problems with my epidural as well…

  3. Tamsyn says:

    Thanks for sharing your birth story Cady, you made me cry (happy) tears. I agree with Jess about the photo of you holding lucy, it’s a very beautiful photo šŸ™‚

  4. kami says:

    aw girlie this made me get teary eyed! I know how bad you and Joe wanted this little angel…enjoy her she is a blessing! šŸ™‚

  5. Lisanne says:

    Wonderful birth story! Thanks for sharing it with us! I agree, the photo of you holding Lucy right after she was born brings tears to my eyes! šŸ™‚ My labor with Meri, start to finish, was 1.5 hours. I’m glad that everything went relatively smoothly for you ~ you did it! šŸ™‚ Sorry about the dip in BP ~ that had to be scary! And don’t beat yourself up about the epidural. It’s there in case you need it! You didn’t have to have a C-section, which was awesome! Lucy is so beautiful, and I’m thrilled for you guys.

  6. Liz says:

    I can’t believe how amazing you look right after having given birth. You & Lucy are both beautiful!

    Congratulations & thanks for sharing your birth story.

  7. Lindsey says:

    This birth story is so beautiful! I’m so happy for you and your family. Lucy is gorgeous! You have officially made me want a baby.

  8. psyche says:

    She’s adorable šŸ™‚

  9. Sara says:

    Cady, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a great story. šŸ™‚ I’m so glad you guys were able to have Lucy. Enjoy her, they are fun, will grow up fast, remember these days if you can. *HUGS*

  10. Heather says:

    So proud of you for letting Lucy come on her on schedule. Doctors nowadays push so hard to make them come on our time. Women have been doing this for 100s of years. So very proud of you.

    She is so cute!

    Hang in there with the nursing.

  11. Chimica says:

    OMG… Congrats! I was in labor for 9 hours before having to have a C-section. You and your little girl look so lovely. I had a very hard time nursing. Thank goodness for breast pumps! It takes some time so let it just happen! Congrats again.. Have a great Christmas with your new baby!

  12. Karen says:

    Thanks for sharing such a beautiful birth story. You look mahvahlus!

  13. Amber says:

    Thanks for sharing! Don’t feel bad about the epidural…I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I’ll definitely be getting one!

  14. Erin says:

    Oh, Cady, what a wonderful birth story!! Lucy is gorgeous! That picture of you seeing her for the first time melts my heart. I will say, Im a bit envious you were able to hold her right away and show her off. We didnt get to have that..maybe next time. Cant wait to see more pictures of that cutie!

  15. connie says:

    This is a beautiful birth story from start to finish. Love all the pics~Lucy is just adorable!

  16. Maureen says:

    Great story- I really enjoy checking out your blog. Very cool to see Lucy now-

  17. Joe says:

    That was the best day ever. Hands down. We went to the hospital husband and wife and left as a family. That’s priceless. I love you both so much.

  18. Barbara says:

    What a beautiful birth story. I’m so happy that everything went smoothly. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Like Joe said, family is priceless! šŸ™‚

Speak Your Mind