Last night was a miserable one for us. I was doing some things around the house when I started getting some really severe pains. They would come and go, and by the time we had finished dinner they were absolutely awful. Joe called our OB’s office, and the midwife said she thought it sounded like another UTI since I was also going to the bathroom so frequently, but that she wanted us to go to the hospital to get checked out in case I was going into labor.

So, off to the hospital we went. We had to stop several times on the way so I could use the bathroom. It was ridiculous how I had to use it within minutes of going. When we arrived, we went to the ER to get registered, and we had to wait for about 20 minutes. At that point, I was starting to cramp really bad. About 30-40 minutes after we arrived, we were finally taken up to L&D. I told Joe we will *not* be waiting that long when I actually do go into labor.

When we got to our room, I was hooked up to the fetal and contraction monitors, and little Lucy was squirming away. We could hear all of her movements and kicks, which was neat, especially when there were some that I couldn’t feel. Her heart rate was excellent, and the nurse said she is the perfect baby. Duh!

My test showed I didn’t have a UTI, and I wasn’t dilated or effaced, but since I was still cramping pretty bad, they kept me for several hours before my doctor let me go home. I was bummed that I hadn’t started to make any progress toward labor. I know even if I was dilated or effaced now it wouldn’t really mean anything, but I really hope that since my cervix is still closed up like Fort Knox it doesn’t mean Lucy will be late.

After we got home, I was still going to the bathroom literally every two minutes and actually had a pretty full bladder each time. I understand the baby will be putting more pressure on my bladder at this point, but having to get up and go to the bathroom right after getting back in bed is a bit much, in my opinion. I think my doctor agrees. I called this morning after hardly getting any sleep last night, and she gave me a prescription for a med to treat UTIs. She said that even if my test at the hospital was negative the culture likely could be positive. I just hope it allows me to sleep a little bit better.

Last night really made me realize how anxious I am for Lucy to arrive. I was pretty bummed that it was nothing major, and hearing a newborn baby cry as I laid on the bed in my room made me think forward to our delivery in about four weeks. I can’t wait.

Be Sociable, Share!
Hi! I’m a wife to a wonderful husband, mom to a beautiful and active (to put it lightly) kiddo, and fur-mom to 3 crazy cats. I’m a former journalist. I quit my full time job two years ago. Now, I am a freelance writer and a virtual assistant for several bloggers!

Latest posts by Cady (see all)


  1. Jess says:

    I can’t wait either! So excited for you!

  2. connie says:

    I’m sorry you are having so much pain & I hope the meds the dr. gave you help. I loved the last part of your post. When you hear Lucy cry for the 1st time after birth (& hold her)~it’s the sweetest sound you’ll *ever* hear! I’m excited for you guys too & I can’t wait for you to experience it 🙂

  3. Lisanne says:

    FOUR weeks … that will FLY by!!!

  4. Amber says:

    Sorry to hear it was such a long night for you! Hope things get better now that you have some medicine.

Speak Your Mind