our tough decision


sasha has been diagnosed with feline leukemia, which is a highly contagious disease. we now have a very difficult decision. if we decide to keep her, she will have to be quarantined for several months so our cats can get up-to-date with their vaccinations and get the vaccines into their systems. that will be hell for sasha. i know that. she would be locked in the bathroom by herself.

then, she will continue to get sick, as her immune system is very weak. and, since no vaccine is 100 percent effective, there is always that risk that one or all of our other cats could get it, especially since it is spread through saliva. we’re talking about food, water, biting, etc.

but, we love her so much. in just two months she’s become so special to us and taken such large pieces of our hearts. i honestly can’t imagine our house without her. but, i don’t want to be worried every day that our other cats could be getting infected.

i think we’ll have to make a decision tomorrow, and i’m not looking forward to it. i cried all the way home. oh, and did i mention that joe’s car died today and we now must buy him a new one? i wish i could wake up and this whole day would be a bad dream.


Be Sociable, Share!
Hi! I’m a wife to a wonderful husband, mom to a beautiful and active (to put it lightly) kiddo, and fur-mom to 3 crazy cats. I’m a former journalist. I quit my full time job two years ago. Now, I am a freelance writer and a virtual assistant for several bloggers!


  1. Lisa says:

    That’s a tough choice. I’m sorry you have to make it. Maybe a larger room to lock her in? Or can you temporarily relocate either her or your other cats?

  2. cady says:

    we don’t have any other space for her. we’re trying to think of someone who could keep her for a while, but we just can’t come up with anyone.

  3. Chas says:

    Cady, I am so sorry. Giving up a pet that you truly love is such a hardship. I am generally against putting animals “to sleep”, but in this case, I wouldn’t judge you it all if that’s the decision you have to make. What a terrible situation. I wish I had advice for you :(.

  4. Alyndabear says:

    Oh honey I am so sorry. That’s awful news. 🙁 The isolation would be pretty miserable for all involved, especially if she’s just going to get sicker. It’s totally your decision, but either one will be a tough one. Choosing to put Bella to sleep was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done! *hugs*

  5. Sara says:

    You poor thing – not a good day huh? That is so sad about Sasha – she is such a cutie. Just remember everything happens for a reason, and I know it’s tough because you don’t just have to look out for her but your other babies too. I know you will make the right decision even if it is a tough one.

  6. Laurel says:

    Oh man… I have only ever had to make a decision like that about a pet one time and it was awful.

    I’m thinking of you and Sasha. She’s so cute.

  7. Liz says:

    So sorry to hear that you have to make this type of decision. Just remember that whatever you decide, it will be for the best.

  8. Laura says:

    I’m so sorry!! That’s awful.

Speak Your Mind